Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Simple Uses for your Nan’s Goodies

Make Your Own Croutons


When I was a kid, my mom used to make croutons for her salads.  Salads were her signature dish, and so making fresh tasty croutons was a given.  I don’t even know if boxed croutons were available yet (we don’t need to get into how old I am in this article, please).  It took me a while to get back to basics and make my own, but oh my, the difference in quality is huge compared to the dry over-salted ones from the box.

Besides, they are a snap to make!  All you need is some leftover bread, olive oil and an oven.  Even those two extraneous hot dog rolls will do!  Cut the bread into chunks, place on a baking sheet and drizzle with your favorite Nan’s blended oil.  I like to use the Basil Parmesan, but any would work (think White Truffle Oil or Rosemary with Roasted Garlic!)  Season with salt and pepper, toss, and then bake in a 350° oven (I use a toaster oven) for 10 to 15 minutes.  I will usually turn them at least once.  Once golden they are ready for the salad bowl or on your soup.

That’s it, they are that easy.  And just ask MY kids how good they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment